Addiction and Substance Abuse
The CRAFFT Questions
A Brief Screening Test for Adolescent Substance Abuse
- Have you ever ridden in a CAR driven by someone (including yourself) who was "high" or had been using alcohol or drugs?
- Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to RELAX, feel better about yourself, or fit in?
- Do you ever use alcohol/drugs while you are by yourself, ALONE?
- Do your family or FRIENDS ever tell you that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Do you ever FORGET things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
- Have you gotten into TROUBLE while you were using alcohol or drugs?
*2 or more YES answers suggest a significant problem.
This instrument was developed by John Knight, M.D., Boston Children's Hospital.
For adults, please see the CAGE Questions.
For more information:
Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse
health topic, where you can:
- Read articles on this topic
- Browse the previously asked questions
Last Reviewed: Jun 04, 2010
Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University