yeast infection

Are yeast infections contagious? I am a 22 year old female who is sexually active. I was diagnosed with a yeast infection. Can the yeast infection be passed on to my boyfriend? If so, are their treatments for males who have yeast infections, and what are they?

Yeast infections are not contagious. As a matter of fact, the human body has yeast in or on it all the time. It just isn`t in amounts large enough to cause problems. It is when it has the opportunity, such as a suppressed immune system, or in the case of a vaginal infection, an alteration of the normal vaginal environment, that yeast can cause problems. Treatment of sexual partners has never been found to be necessary in treating a vaginal yeast infection. A yeast infection in male partners is very uncommon, but if diagnosed, is treated with the same antifungal medications used in women.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education