Gynecology

yeast infection

09/27/1999

Question:

Are yeast infections contagious? I am a 22 year old female who is sexually active. I was diagnosed with a yeast infection. Can the yeast infection be passed on to my boyfriend? If so, are their treatments for males who have yeast infections, and what are they?

Answer:

Yeast infections are not contagious. As a matter of fact, the human body has yeast in or on it all the time. It just isn`t in amounts large enough to cause problems. It is when it has the opportunity, such as a suppressed immune system, or in the case of a vaginal infection, an alteration of the normal vaginal environment, that yeast can cause problems. Treatment of sexual partners has never been found to be necessary in treating a vaginal yeast infection. A yeast infection in male partners is very uncommon, but if diagnosed, is treated with the same antifungal medications used in women.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education