Treating an ADD Child Without Drugs

11/29/1999

Question:

We have a ADHD child, we do not want to put him on drugs. What can we do?

Answer:

Each person with ADD is an individual and has his/her own ADD-related problems. What you should consider doing for your son needs to be guided by who he is. Since I do not know him, my answers are very general. 1) There are many excellent books out. I have some favorites but I think the best way to get a good book is to browse in a large bookstore and find one or two that speak to your specific concerns. 2) Find a supporting group in your area through the CHADD website so you can learn from and with other parents. 3) Call your local children`s hospital about programs they have available. 4) Speak with your child`s teacher(s) and school counselor. Although I write many prescriptions every week for medications for ADD, through my work at The Affinity Center, I certainly respect your decision to go the non-drug route. Do keep in mind, however, that one of the most important results of medicating children and adults with ADD is the boost in self-esteem. To be sure that your child`s self-esteem is as protected as it can be, have him attend a school where the educators understand ADD well, know how to teach with unconditional love, and know how to allow for the results of poor attention while still inspiring your son to do his best. I realize that is easier said than done but it should be strived for - self-esteem is oh-so very key!

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine