Helping A Friend with A.D.D

12/21/1999

Question:

My BEST friend has A.D.D. He gets REALLY annoying.I just wanna punch him,but I know and feel his pain! What should I do? Should I stop being his friend or should I be there to help him??

Answer:

"BEST" friend usually describes a pretty important person in someone`s life. Thus, I assume that is true here. Good friends are so important to us that we often need to go out of our way to keep them. It sounds like communication may be a key here. Since you do not describe specifics, age, etc., I can not be very specific either but I encourage you to sit down together, preferably at a time when the problems are not happening, and talk about your feelings. Include the positive as well as the negative, and what might help the negative ones. Although ADD can be nerve racking, especially when untreated, friendship is a two way street. You may receive some helpful information about how you communicate that you can learn from as well. In addition, go to the library and read up on ADD. Not only will you likely learn a lot, the gesture will also speak "a thousand words" about how important your best friend is to you. Finally, consider asking a third "neutral" person tomhelp you two talk it out if it does not go well otherwise. Again, friends are one of life`s most important gifts.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine