Bendectin and ADD

03/27/2000

Question:

When I was pregnant with my son, now age 23, I was extremely sick. I was prescribed Bendectin, which I understand can no longer be given. I took two a day for eight and a half months, as it was the only thing that worked. I am wondering if there is a connection between taking this drug and his diagnosis of ADD. He is having some emotional problems now, and seems to be suffering from depression as well. I hope that this drug did not cause his problems. I am also wondering if there is more ADD in descendants of those with alcoholic great grandparents, since that history is in our family.

Answer:

ANSWER: There is no need to worry that you harmed your child with Bendectin, either by somehow inducing ADD or his mood problems. There have since been several studies looking at babies of moms who took this medication and NO harm has been found. In fact, some studies suggest a protective effect in some physical areas (i.e., less problems than babies who were not exposed). Thus, it may even eventually lead to the discovery of a new helpful medication.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine