Kiegel and other exercises

I am a healthy 45 year old woman who has had three childen. During periods of strenuous exercise, I occasionally experience urine leakage. During routine exams, I have been told that the "neck of my bladder" is in a good position and I should practice kiegel exercises. I am wondering what other exercises I could practice that would strengthen up the pelvic muscles to control this problem, in addition to kiegels. I also wonder if timing of a woman`s cycle has an effect on this problem (estrogen levels being higher or lower at certain times of the month. Thanks for the help.

The Kegel exercises are the most effective. General physcial activity is important as well such as jogging, tennis etc. I am uaware of your weight but if you are overweight , weight reduction is very important in helping to reduce the problem of incontinence. Finally you may want to consult with a urologist or urogynecologist with a special interest in urinary problems in women.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology