Incontinence

Kiegel and other exercises

04/05/2000

Question:

I am a healthy 45 year old woman who has had three childen. During periods of strenuous exercise, I occasionally experience urine leakage. During routine exams, I have been told that the "neck of my bladder" is in a good position and I should practice kiegel exercises. I am wondering what other exercises I could practice that would strengthen up the pelvic muscles to control this problem, in addition to kiegels. I also wonder if timing of a woman`s cycle has an effect on this problem (estrogen levels being higher or lower at certain times of the month. Thanks for the help.

Answer:

The Kegel exercises are the most effective. General physcial activity is important as well such as jogging, tennis etc. I am uaware of your weight but if you are overweight , weight reduction is very important in helping to reduce the problem of incontinence. Finally you may want to consult with a urologist or urogynecologist with a special interest in urinary problems in women.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology