Child Abuse

Abuse and Its Effects on Schoolwork

04/24/2000

Question:

I am writing a report for school and am wondering about child abuse. Has child abuse been a proven affect of children not doing well in school? Do abused children in school learn less adequately than other children? Please write back! Thanx!

Answer:

Without question an abusive home enviornment has a dramatic effect on a child`s school performance and his ability to get along with peers. One of the most difficult issues abused children face is loss of self esteem which is also a critical issue in good school performance. Of course much of this depends on the severity of the abuse, the relationship of the abuser to the victim, the lenghth of time abuse has occurred and if there has been sucessful intervention and resolution of the abuse. You have an interesting topic to write about and I wish you luck with your paper.

Go to the Child Abuse health topic, where you can:

Robert Shapiro, MD
Professor of Clinical Pediatrics