Newborn and Infant Care

Just curious

05/25/2000

Question:

if the father of my child has a history of drug abuse will my child have any effects from it? even though the father doesn`t do drugs anymore and even before the baby was concieved?

Answer:

The type of drug that has been used by the father will determine if the drug may have an affect on the baby. Drugs that affect the genetic material of the sperm can effect the baby. In addition, if the morphology and motility of the sperm are affected, it can affect getting pregnant. Since you did not state a specific drug, I am unable to give you more information. If the drugs are you are referring to are marijuana or cocaine and if the male is not currently using either drug and has not used them for more than three months prior to conception then the baby will not affected. It is ESSENTIAL to discuss both your and the baby`s fathers medical and drug history with your health care provider, ideally prior to becoming pregnant. If you would like information on a specific drug, you should contact pharmacy and medication ask an expert.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing