Alzheimer's Disease

Prevention and Treatment Research on Alzheimer`s

06/06/2000

Question:

What does the latest research on Alzheimer`s tell us about the disease and our hope for finding a way to prevent or cure it? I have an 88 year old mother who has lost the threads that bind her life to her family. I am frightened that this can happen to me, too.

Answer:

The majority of cases of Alzheimer`s disease do not appear to have a genetic basis; even for those that do, there is little data on prevention strategies; research is ongoing into whether estrogen replacement therapy, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories or using the brain (re; use it or lose it) can help prevent the disease. Genetic testing is generally not recommended for those at-risk since the probabilities of a "positive result" are not known. For further information about Alzheimer`s disease and about the latest research on AD, please refer to the links below. Also, the current addition of "The 36 Hour Day" is recommended. If you get a chance, you might want to check out your local library, to see if they have any articles or other books. We hope this information was of help. Thank you for your question!

University Alzheimer Center
ADEAR
National Alzheimer's Association

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Jon Stuckey, PhD
Formerly

Alan J Lerner, MD
Professor of Neurology