Lupus

Possible Lupus

06/16/2000

Question:

I resently had a lump removed from my neck and one from my back. At first the doctors thought it was Cancer, but when they did the biopsy it showed up possible Lupus. I have been told by my doctors that I have all the symptoms of Lupus, but it hasn`t showed up in any tests that they did. I want to know what could be wrong with me so I can get better. I`m sick all the time and I feel so weak that on certain days all I do is sleep. I can`t keep going on like this and I just wanted to know if you have any information that you could send me about Lupus or any other disease that it could possibly be? I will give any information that is needed. Thank you.

Answer:

Blood tests looking for lupus antibodies show abnormalities in 97-99% of lupus patients. Hence, if the tests are negative the chances of having lupus are very small. Neck lumps can be caused by a lot of different diseases. Without review of your medical records I am unable to tell you what type of problem you have. For further information re. Lupus you can contact the Arthritis Foundation.

Arthritis Foundation

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Anne-Barbara Mongey, MD
Formerly, Director, Arthritis Clinic, Univerity Hospital