Urinary Tract Cancers

Sexual performarance after testicular cancer

06/23/2000

Question:

a man who has testicular cancer, and had one of them removed followed by a course of chemo and radiation, is able to achieve an orgasm, but "nothing comes out" despite one "normally functioning testicle." any ideas as to what the problem could be or suggestions despite consulting a urologist

Answer:

Patients that undergo a lymph node dissection in association with treatment for their testicular cancer may have retrograde ejaculation which means the fluid that typically comes out remains in the bladder. This is not harmful and may resolve with time and healing. Chemotherapy does not cause this but it may result from radiation therapy. Medications of any type are generally not helpful but as I mentioned with time the problem may resolve. Retrograde ejaculation is not harmful but obviously sterility is a consequence.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology