Lupus sympton ?

I am a 56 year old female diagnosed with lupus about three years ago. I`m in overall good health. About two or three months ago I began to experience pain in my shoulders and hips. Could this be related to lupus? Any helpful medications or treatments?

Shoulder and hip pain can be related to lupus, either directly due to joint involvement or as a result of a condition called `avascular necrosis`. The latter condition is not very common, and may be seen in up to 10% of patients with SLE. However, several local problems including osteoarthritis affecting these joints can also cause pain in these joints. Certain tests including MRI or X rays of these joints is sometimes helpful in finding the cause of this symptom. Your rheumatologist may evaluate you for these possibilities, and prescribe suitable medications.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Ram Raj   Singh, MD Ram Raj Singh, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine