Thinking About Adderal

06/30/2000

Question:

I am a 53 year old male with ADD. My doctor gave me wellburtrin 150mg. It seems to not work after 6 weeks trial. I read that Adderal might work.I have no history of drug or alcohol abuse. What do you think?

Answer:

In my experience, buproprion (Wellbutrin/Zyban) is often a very good adjunctive medication to stimulants for persons with ADD. Unfortunately, it seems to do little for executive function, e.g., areas of the brain such as those that help with repetitive learning or holding onto information to use it later. Out of the many hundreds of patients I have had with ADD, well over 100 have been helped by buproprion, but only a few were not also on stimulants. Take a look at the 5/11/00 question in this (the ADD) section. It talks some about side effects. Once you have had an appropriately designated diagnosis including having other problems such as depression or anxiety ruled out as the primary cause of your attention deficits, a trial of Adderall makes sense if your physician feels it is indicated.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine