Newborn and Infant Care

What will I need.

07/18/2000

Question:

What will I need to take to the hospital when I go in to have my baby?

Answer:

Taking your new infant home for the first time should be considered a celebration, much like going to a party. Pick out something you think is attractive for the occasion. It could be a one piece sleeper or a new outfit you may have purchased or received as a gift. Bring along a light receiving blanket since it is summer and your car may or may not have air conditioning.

Speak to the nurses about formula if you are bottle feeding. Most hospitals send you home with a starter kit and instructions. If breast feeding, continue to drink at least 8 glasses of water each day to assist your breast milk to come in adequately.

Most importantly, be sure you have the appropriate infant car seat that faces backwards in your back seat. Many hospitals will rent this to you if you have not yet gotten one yet.

Below is a web site that describes appropriate car seats as the baby grows. It is critical you begin this safety habit from the time you leave the hospital until your child reaches either 40 pounds or 4 years of age. Enjoy!

Car Seats: Information for Families for 2012 - American Academy of Pediatrics

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Marcia   Hern, RN, EdD Marcia Hern, RN, EdD