Lupus

A mother with Lupus & a sick daughter.

09/10/2000

Question:

i am a 32 year old mother of two. I was diagnosed with Lupus SLE five years ago. Now my four year old daughter is sick. We have been told she has Mono.,chronic uticaria, a micro-plasma etc. She has had hies every day for nine months, she is tired,stomach pains..etc. My question is- How concerned should I be that this is an autoimmune disease like my Lupus? I want to give her the best medical care, but I`m not sure where to go next and I don`t want to miss anything. It took so many painful years to get my own diagnosis, I don`t want my daughter to suffer as I did.

Answer:

First, I am sorry for the delay in replying. I was busy writing a research grant on lupus. Previous studies have suggested that the chance of transmission of lupus or lupus-associated antibodies from mother to daughter is about 15-30%. This number does not mean anything to an individual patient and family. Therefore, your daughter`s symptoms should be carefully evaluated and investigated. You may discuss her problem with your rheumatologist or lupus Doctor. Certain tests such as `ANA` and anti-Ro, although not exclusive for lupus, are positive in 95-99% patients. Sometimes, complement tests can also be very helpful.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Ram Raj   Singh, MD Ram Raj Singh, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine