Breast Feeding

Fluoride supplementation

09/11/2000

Question:

Hi, I was instructed to supplement my 7-month old breast-fed baby with tri-vi-fluor drops because my primary source of water is bottled water. How much fluoridated tap water do you have to drink to receive the benefits? I use two to three cups per day making decaffeinated coffee and cooking. Thank you!

Answer:

The fluoride content in breast milk is considered to be fairly stable, but supplementation is advised after 6 months if all or most of a baby`s fluid intake is derived from breastfeeding, if living in a community without fluoridated water, or if parents use bottled water or home filtration systems for most of the family`s water intake. Flouride has been shown to decrease tooth decay, but oversupplementation has been associated with tooth mottling.

To find out the amount of fluoride in the water used for coffee and cooking, you probably will have to contact an expert involved in the chlorination of the water supply in your area. The recommendation for fluoride supplementation for a child of 6 months to 3 years is:

0.25 mg if the fluoride content in the water you use is less than 0.3 parts per million (ppm) 0.25 mg if the content in your water is 0.3-0.6 ppm 0 if the fluoride content in your water is greater than 0.6 ppm

References:

Black RF, Jarman L & Simpson JB (1998). The management of breastfeeding: Lactation specialist self-study (module 4). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.

Riordan J & Auerbach KG (1999). Breastfeeding and human lactation (2nd ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Karen Kerkhoff Gromada, MSN, RN, IBCLC
Adjunct Clinical Instructor