Alzheimer's Disease

Heritability of Alzheimer's Disease

10/04/2000

Question:

What are the chances of my father or my sisters and I getting Alzeheimer`s Disease if my grandmother died from it?

Answer:

Thank you very much for submitting this important question. It`s definitely one of the most visual answers of what the chances of inheriting this disease are. One of our doctors, Dr. David Geldmacher, has answered your question below:

"Your father`s risk is somewhere between 2-5 times the overall population`s average risk of getting AD. That populational risk is about 1% at age 60-65 and increases to over 30% after age 80-85.

You risk remains close to the population`s average risk unless your dad develops the illness. In that case, see the numbers above."

We hope this has and will be of help. If you have any further questions, please don`t hesitate to call or contact us again. Thank you!

National Alzheimer's Association
Memory and Cognition Center

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD

David   Geldmacher, MD David Geldmacher, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Neurology