High Blood Pressure

High bloodpressure problems

11/03/2000

Question:

I`m a runner, this summer I was having difficulty at the start of my running. It was usually dizziness and shortness of breathe. I knew I was in good shape and should be able to run without problems. It wasn`t too warm when I ran, usually in the morning. I went to my doctor and he ran many test. Everything was good, but my bloodpressure was 162/96. My doctor put me on Tenolol 25mg, for four weeks I had a nurse at the blood bank tahe my bloodpressure. It stayed at the range of 155, 144, 166/ 92, 94. 96, My doctor changed my medication to Zestril 10mg, for three weeks my bloodpressure stay at the above range. Then my doctor told me to take 1 and a half tablets of Zestril 10mg. Thats where I am now. I had my bloodpressure taken today, 162/92, taking 1 and a half approximately two weeks. My question is what could have cause this and what can I do to keep my blood pressure down ? I am 57, retired, never smoked, gave up coffee in the middle of July, run 5 miles every other day. Hope you can give me some things to go on. Thank You.

Answer:

It appears that your blood pressure is conistently high, with readings well above 135/85. The most likely cause is essential hypertension, which is to a large degree genetic, i.e. inherited. It can occur even in people whose parents are not hypertensive.

25 mg of atenolol or 15 mg of Zestril are low doses. Most people will require at least 20 mg of Zestril or more (like 40 mg a day). If Zestril alone does not bring your blood pressure down enough, a low dose of a diuretic (e.g. hydrochlorothiazide, 12.5 mg a day) can be added. The vast majority of patients with high blood pressure can be controlled with medication. In cases where an adequate medication regimen (consisting of three different drugs, including a diuretic) does not control the blood pressure, additional tests become necessary to rule out underlying diseases.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section