Lupus

Fibromyalgia or Lupus or other?

11/28/2000

Question:

Over the past 2 years, I have had 2 doctors diagnose me with FMS, 2 others say probably FMS, and a Rheumatologist say not FMS but possibly Lupus. I have quite a few symtoms that are typical of both, but other symptoms that are not. However, recently I`ve developed migrating swelling with the pain NEAR, but seemingly not IN the joints of my fingers, wrists, elbows, knees, feet, and toes. It seems to me, the swelling may be indicative of something, and therefor possibly easier to come up with a diagnosis. I really don`t know if I`m dealing with an autoimmune disease or not, but does this swelling narrow it down? I also have muscle fatigue, very noticable cognative disfunction, lack of energy (I do sleep well), and depression (Zoloft helps a lot). I used to be a very active and self reliant person...now I feel weak and vulnerable. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Answer:

Without a clinical evaluation one cannot diagnose your condition. I would suggest seeing your rheumatologist.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Anne-Barbara Mongey, MD
Formerly, Director, Arthritis Clinic, Univerity Hospital