Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Adolescent/Teenage Depression

12/05/2000

Question:

I have a daughter who just turned 13. She has confided in me that she feels depressed often. She said that she cries alot, wants to scream and/or throw something, feels she would be better off dead and that no one understands here. She is bright and gets good grades, has a circle of girlfriends that she has know since kindergarten. She is active in an age appropriate way, ie, roller skating, movies, shopping malls. She says that she is "too nice" to her friends and that they all tell her about their problems. She claims to have problems but will not share all with me. he said she has had thoughts of suicide. I don`t know if this is normal or what to do about it.Please advise me. I am single parenting by the way.

Answer:

You child exhibits several of the warning signs of clinical depression. I recommend that she see a mental health professional to determine whether depression is present and the need for treatment. Depression is a serious health concern but is readily treatable.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD