Time Released Medication

12/15/2000

Question:

What brand of medicine have you had better results in the time released area. My son has been advised to take an afternoon dose but is reluctant due to being made fun of. His afternoon classes are suffering due to his medicine wearing off. He is currently on adderall 20 mg. Before we choose to medicate at school, I was wondering if he could switch to another company.

Answer:

First, please see the previously answered question through the link below.

In addition to the information in the aforementioned question, a very well tolerated, smooth 12-hour methylphenidate (Concerta) has been out for several months now. I have switched over more than 60 patients from Ritalin (not Adderall) to this Oros-methylphenidate (named for the time release method" preparation and about 90% have switched over very well. I usually have had those on Adderall who wished to try the new medication try the short acting methylphenidate first, but quickly switch to the long acting. Most are extremely pleased they do not need to take a midday dose, although some still need an evening dose.

And, if you try methylphenidate and regular or sustained release dexedrine and find that the four amphetamine salt, Adderall, works best for you, you`ll be pleased to know that a longer acting Adderall preparation is due out next summer.

If you have any questions as you try changes your doctor prescribes, email again.

Ritalin vs Dexidrine

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine