Breast Feeding

Loss of breast milk

01/05/2001

Question:

Recently my breasts seem to be running out of milk. I am still breast feeding. My child is 4months. Why is this happening?

Answer:

There are many reasons for a decrease in your milk supply. If you should become pregnant there will be a decrease in your milk supply. Are you pumping? If you are, the pump is not as effective as the baby, and therefore your body will make less milk. If you are pumping on a regular basis you should increase the frequency of your pumping and the length of time you pump. Your supply will decrease during times of emotional and physical stress, and if you take in large amounts of alcohol and caffeine you can inhibit let down. Some over the counter medications can also decrease your milk supply. As your baby grows he will become more efficient with emptying your breast, and will nurse for less time, and you may think you have less milk. The best way to determine if your child is getting sufficient milk is to consult his health care provider, and work closely with them in monitoring his growth.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing