Lupus

Lupus or Sjogrens?

01/12/2001

Question:

Thank you for offering this site. I have myasthenia gravis. I have had problems since last fall with my eyes and they told me that I do not have any tear film. I started having problems with my saliva glands in Aug one has quit working and the others are sluggish. I have had rashes described as vascular flares and hives. I recently had a repeat ANA which was 1:80. It has been 1:40 the past 2 years with a speckled pattern. They also tested my C3 and C4 which both were low initially with the C4 being the lowest at 12.9 (20-59). The second test was done and the C3 was normal and the C4 was12.3. They rechecked it a month later the C3 was normal and the C4 had gone up to 14.6. I have had hurting elbows for the past 10 days, neck pain, and some pains in my hands. Should this be checked out? Could it be lupus or sjogrens?

Thank you

Answer:

Dryness of the eyes is a symptom but is not diagnostic of Sjogren`s syndrome. Sjogren`s syndrome can be seen as an independent entity or in association with an autoimmune disease such as lupus. Without a clinical assessment it is impossible to say if you have either of these. Any new symptoms should be checked out by your physician.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Anne-Barbara Mongey, MD
Formerly, Director, Arthritis Clinic, Univerity Hospital