Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Pain Related to Implant Procedure

01/05/2001

Question:

I am a 60 year old male in good general health except for serious gum disease, loose teeth, and am facing the prospect of deciding on 4-6 implants. What kind of pain should I expect from such a procedure?

Answer:

Dear Sir,

The good news is that pain is usually the least of your worries with dental implants. While you wouldn`t want to have it done every day, the slow speeds and cool temperatures used in placing contemporary dental implants usually result in very little "bone" pain. The gum tissue is sore for 2-3 days and that is usually most of the discomfort. Over-the-counter pain medications are usually enough, but your implant surgeon can give you a prescription for a stronger pain medication that most of our patients never have to fill. If you have any further questions about the procedure, please let me know.

Ed McGlumphy, DDS, MS

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Robert R Seghi, DDS, MS Robert R Seghi, DDS, MS
Professor of Restorative/Prosthetic Dentistry

Ed A McGlumphy, DDS, MS Ed A McGlumphy, DDS, MS