Newborn and Infant Care

Neurology tests

01/16/2001

Question:

I can not find a site for the Neurology, therefore, sending the question here. Please forward it to appropriate authority for an answer.

For the last couple of years, I have had ocassional burning/feeling of heat in my feet. The family doctor ran some blood tests for Blood Count, Thyroid function and blood sugar. All tests were normal. I was then reffered to a Neurologist for further tests.

The initial physical exam by the Neurologist was normal. I have now been scheduled for some sort of electrical exam and the blood tests for the following:

1. Folate (Folic Acid) 2. B12 level Serum 3. Triglycerides -Serum 4. Cholestrol 5. ESR - Routine "Westergrn" 6. Serun protein Electrophoresis 7. ANA ( Anti-Nuclear AB) 8. RPR

I am familiar with nos. 1 through 4. The following are my questions:

(1) What are tests 5 through 7 for?

(2)I undersatnd RPR is a test for Syphilis. I have no reason or doubt to believe that I may ever have this disease. Why is the Neurologist suggesting the RPR? What other diseases or viruses does the test RPR disclose?

(3) Is RPR same as VDRL? Almost ten years ago I was tested for VDRL as a job requirement and the result was negative.

Please answer the above questions as it is very difficult to get hold of my doctor on the phone.

Thank you.

Answer:

This question does not fall within the scope of my topic area. I have forwarded your question to a NetWellness Expert who I hope will be able to provide you with an answer. In one to two days, please look for an answer to your question in the NetWellness Expert topic area called Epilepsy.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Judy Wright Lott, RNC, NNP, DSN
Associate Professor of Nursing