Alzheimer's Disease

Quieting Vebal Agression in Alzheimer's

01/22/2001

Question:

My mother is 70 and had Alzheimers for about 9 years. From the second she opens her eyes in the morning until she goes to bed at night she talks nonstop. She even talks while eating and chewing. She doesn`t make a bit of sense and most of the time she is mad and loud. Is there anything we can give her to keep her more quiet? My family and myself are going crazy! Any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

Answer:

Thank you for submitting your question. Dr. Geldmacher from the University Alzheimer Center has responded. "In many cases of non-stop agitated behavior, medications are the only answer. Salts of Valproic Acid (Brand Name: Depakote) are often useful and are among the recommendations of the American Psychiatric Association's practice recommendations (Reference: American Journal of Psychiatry 1997; Volume 54 Supplement (Issue 5), pages 1-39)." Carolyn Karolyi RN, also from University Alzheimer Center has some suggestions. "It might be helpful to put on a movie to get her attention, or some relaxing music at meal time may be an avenue to explore. Are there distractions going on around her that may get her over stimulated? Has there been any exploration of day centers to give the family a break?" Again, thank you very much for writing to us and we really hope that this is of help to you. If this has not answered your question or if there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Memory and Cognition Center

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD

David   Geldmacher, MD David Geldmacher, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Neurology

Carolyn J Karolyi, RN, MSN, CNP
Formerly