Smoking and Tobacco

Power smoking as a method of quitting.

02/13/2001

Question:

I just found out my 15 year old is smoking and wants to quit. She wants to try `power smoking" where she would chain smoke 5 packs without stopping. Several of her friends have successfully done this. My fear is that putting all of that nicotine into her system at once will be dangerous since it is a stimulant. Am I right, or should I let her try this? She seems quite ready to quit, but only if we do this her way.

Answer:

I agree with you, that this practice is dangerous. She may very well develop nicotine poisoning: pallor, cold sweat, nausea, vomiting, salivation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, disturbed hearing and vision, tremor, mental confusion,and weakness. Low blood pressure, respiratory failure, seizures, and death by respiratory or cardiac arrest may occur with large overdoses. She may like some of the tips in the site listed. Go to the site, click on Health/Fitness, then on Smoking Cessation, then on Teen Smoking. Good Luck!

About

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Jerry   Friemoth, MD Jerry Friemoth, MD