Smoking and Tobacco

More ideas to help quit smoking

02/19/2001

Question:

This information was very useful. I am trying to get a loved one to stop smoking. He has quit several times, but only for a few weeks before going right back. Could you send me any more tips on how to help him. Right now only I am trying to help him quit. His entire family smokes, as well as everyone he works with, and his job usually has him stressed out. I would appreciate any further advise on trying to help him. He has been smoking for almost thirteen years and I am afraid that if he doesn`t quit soon, it may be too late. Please help! Thank you very much!!!

Answer:

He is very lucky to have such a good friend! An important question when trying to help someone stop smoking is `How ready are they to quit?` A good book for you and him to read is `Changing for Good` by James O. Prochaska. His readiness to change tells you what approach will be most helpful. If he is really ready to quit, he may benefit from several approaches. One would be to see his doctor about a prescription medication, Zyban, to help him stop. Another would be to use a form of nicotine replacement: gum and the patch are available over-the-counter, nasal spray and inhaler are available by prescription. Another is a group program offered by the American Cancer Society, American Lung Association, or the American Heart Association. Or he could combine any or all of the above. Good luck!

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Jerry   Friemoth, MD Jerry Friemoth, MD