Effects of Ritilan

10/25/1998

Question:

What are the effects of Ritilan on ADHD children? Please mail me the info.

Answer:

There is far too much to include it all here, but I will try to cover some of the main ones. Each one is possible but not always seen. FYI: all are also true for adults.

POSITIVE: 1. Can pay attention in ways similar to classmates/playmates/workmates. 2. Can participate in group activities better because can read the cues of others. 3. Can increase processing speed so can think through ideas better. 4. Helps to increase long term memory. 5. Decreases impulsivity. 6. Increases self-esteem.

NEGATIVE 1. Most children experience 4-6 weeks of decreased appetite that then returns, but some have ongoing problems with appetite that make it necessary to stop the medication. 2. Growth can be slowed for a while although studies in the last decade show that it picks up again and does not seem to be a long term problem. 3. A few children get "flat" or "not themselves" on Ritalin. This is a reason to change medication. 4. Some children can get too sleepy on Ritalin. 5. A few children get nausea, stomach aches or headaches, although this is often correlated to eating patterns while on the medication.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine