Breast Feeding

Depression

03/21/2001

Question:

I have post partum depression. I do not want to wean my 5 month old. There is a strong family history of severe food allergies and asthma. I already have a child who has to carry epinephrine at all times for food allergies. So I feel very strongly that I want to continue to nurse as it is the best gift I can give to a potentially allergic child. But... since I want to get through this without medication, is there any kind of time frame of how long post-partum depression typically lasts?

Answer:

The duration of postpartum depression is highly variable (two weeks to more than a year). Have you talked with your child`s health care provider, lactation consultant and/or pharmacist to see if there is a medication that you can take while breast feeding? Managing your depression and continuing breast feeding will be highly individualized and requires working directly with several different professionals.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing