Smoking and Tobacco

Smoking cessation program

03/27/2001

Question:

I am currently doing a project that will set up a smoking cessation program in a corporate setting. Could you send me more information about how to do this?

Answer:

There are several important national guidelines on tobacco dependence treatment that you can consider in establishing your smoking cessation program. The Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ)published an updated Clinical Practice Guideline on tobacco dependence treatment in 2000. The number and duration of contacts to achieve improved quit rates are included. Clearly, the addition of pharmacological therapy such as nicotine replacement products and nonnicotine medication such as bupropion SR (Zyban) doubles the quit rates. Adequate coverage for participants in your program for pharmacological and behavioral counseling is critical. The guideline which is based on a review of over 6000 treatment trials is available at the link below. In addition, there is a website for health care providers linked below.

Tobacco Cessation Guideline
Nursing Center for Tobacco Intervention

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, College of Nursing
Professor, College of Public Health