Alzheimer's Disease

Activities for People with Alzheimer`s

04/16/2001

Question:

We have been caring for a family member with Alzheimer`s for about one year. I am searching for things for her to do, yet she unable to do even the simplest tasks. Her ability to follow directions is essentially gone. A simple request "sit down" is responded to with "okay" but nothing happens. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer:

Thank you for your question. One suggestion would be to play a variety of music that she enjoyed in her youth. Another would be to bring out family photo albums, or magazines for her to look through. The Alzheimer`s Association has a handout on activities. You might want to check out their web site or call them at (800)441-3322, to see what suggestions they have. I hope this has been of some help. If you have further questions, don`t hesitate to contact us again. Good luck and thank you.

Memory and Cognition Center
Alzheimer Association

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD