Concerta's Effects on ADD

06/01/2001

Question:

The school that my daughter attends tested her and found that (they believe)she has ADD. They said she was not hyperactive, just ADD. I will have her seen shortly by a pediatrician. I am thinking about medication for her but I am frightened by all of the side effects. My friend told me about Concerta. Is this drug effective? Do they typically need to stay on them forever?

Answer:

Very important questions! It is always appropriate to be concerned about possible side effects in medications either you or, in particular, your children take. In brief, Concerta as with all stimulants we use for ADD, is usually quite effective. Side effects depend on your daughter`s body, intereactive chemicals (such as caffeine or decongestants), and coexistant medical problems. In healthy people, the side effects are never major, although they can be problematic enough to discourage medication use, particularly if the wrong dose, dosing schedule, or stimulant is used for the wrong person. For further clarification, please read the questions and answers that are listed below. I hope your daughter and family have much success with your efforts to help improve things.

Concerta®, Ritalin®, Methylin®, & Metadate®
Time Released Medication
Ritalin vs Dexidrine
ritalin

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine