Cancer Genetics

Understanding Oligodendroglioma

08/02/2001

Question:

I am interested in finding out the causes of oligodendroglioma, the recurrence rate, if you have had surgery and it was removed, (Stage II) what is the prognosis (how long can one expect to live) and anything else you can tell me about the disease in layman terms. I am a healthy 44 year old woman with a family and hope to live a long time.

Answer:

Oligodendroglioma is complicated because there is such a wide range of outcomes. It usually cannot be completely removed surgically and therefore recurs. It also tends to grow fairly slowly, however. The average life expectancy after diagnosis is 6-8 years but some individuals have had one for 30-40 years.

Your best resource is the "brain tumors in adults" section of the American Cancer Society website.

Your American Cancer Society

Go to the Cancer Genetics health topic, where you can:

Judith A Westman, MD Judith A Westman, MD
Associate Professor, Clinical Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and Medical Biochemistry