Breast Feeding

Breastfeeding with Myasthenia Gravis

08/24/2001

Question:

Hello: I have had myasthenia gravis since 1992. I am now 5 months pregnate and am considering breast feeding. I am getting mixed messages from my neurologist who advises against it, and other moms who have MG, breastfed and their child was fine. Do you know if there have been any studies conducted to determine the safety of breastfeeding. I am taking prednisone, imuran and mestinon. Please direct me to any other resources that I may research as well. Thank-you very much for your time.

Answer:

Sorry for the delay in answering this question. Both prednisone and mestinon have been reviewed by the American Academy of Pediatrics who says that they are safe with breastfeeding. Imuran has not been reviewed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. However, because it is an immunosuppressive agent if you breast feed your child should be closely monitored, because it is excreted in breast milk. It is very important that you meet with your child`s future health care provider prior to birth so that the two of you can communicate and make the decision together.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing