Breast Feeding

Progesterone only pills safe for baby?

08/27/2001

Question:

I am eight months pregnant (with a boy) and plan to breastfeed my baby for the first year. I would like to use a very reliable method of birth control during that time. Is a progesterone only pill completely safe for the baby or do you think there could be dangers that have not been discovered yet? Thank you.

Answer:

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist (ACOG) both state that Progestin-only contraceptives are approved for use in breast-feeding women, after six weeks. You asked if they are completely safe, I`m not sure that anyone knows that at this time. We do know that the risks and benefits of all medications must be weighed, and only you and your health care providers can make this decision. It is extremely important that you discuss your concerns with both your health care provider and your son`s.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing