Senior Health

Hyperthyroidism treatment options

08/29/2001

Question:

I am 53 years old; had breast cancer 7 years ago; surgery along with 4 doses adriamyacin &cytoxin. Then Tamoxifen for 5 years. Now have indications of hyperthyroidism. Internists is suggesting iodine treatment, by passing the medication route. Should we go medication first, and if not successful consider iodine? I understand the latter will shut down the thyroid & then I`ll have to take synthetic thyroid the rest of my life. Any adverse effects going this route? Iodine seems a little too invasive if medication would work just as well.

Answer:

Your question does not fall within the scope of my topic area or that of any other current NetWellness expert. However, the number of available "Ask an Expert" topic areas continues to increase, so be sure to check back. To help you find an expert that can answer a particular question, there is a "topic description" located at the top of each "Ask an Expert" topic area.

Go to the Senior Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth Joyner Gothelf, BSN, MAG Elizabeth Joyner Gothelf, BSN, MAG
Assistant Director