Newborn and Infant Care

Thrush?????

09/10/2001

Question:

Our 6 wk. old granddaughter went to the doctor 2 wks. ago and had formula build up in her mouth and some of it was curdles. The doctor said it was not Thrush because she didn`t have any sores on her tongue. He scraped her tongue and swabbed her mouth and gave a prescription for Thrush in case they needed it. They went ahead and filled the prescription and also showed the pharmacist her mouth and the pharmacist said it was Thrush. Now almost 2 weeks later her mouth looks better, but she is still bringing up curdled formula. She is not being breast fed. Will Thrush cause curdling of formula coming up from stomach? The first month she slept all the time and they would have to wake her up to feed her. Now 6 wks old she mostly cat naps during the day and sleeps almost all night. My question is mainly, is this Thrush causing all this or is it possible the formula does not agree with her? I`m really concerned about the coming up of curdled formula. What causes this Thrush? I`ve suggested a second opinion, but they really trust their doctor. I`m just a concerned grandparent. Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Answer:

This question does not fall within the scope of my topic area. I have forwarded your question to a NetWellness Expert who I hope will be able to provide you with an answer. In one to two days, please look for an answer to your question in the NetWellness Expert topic area called Children`s Health.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing