Information About ADHD

10/25/2001

Question:

Hello, I believe my son has ADHD or ADD but hasn`t been proven yet we are working on that with his doctor. I guess my concern now is what do I do if he does have it and how do I help him and can I get something I could read up on about this his doctor didnt give me anything for this?

Thanks you

Answer:

First, apologies for the time lag between when you sent your question and now. It is wonderful that you want to get informed. Education, along with the love you have for your son, support from family and/or friends, and the help of trained professionals, is what you need to help guide you at this point. I urge you to go to two web sites in particular. The first is the web site for Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder (CHADD hot link below). There, you will get much information and a lot of support. You can also go to the web site on ADD/ADHD sponsored by the National Institute for Mental Health (NIMH), also below. You have a bit of a rocky road ahead but your quest for knowledge will help smooth it out immensely---and children with ADD/ADHD often have many wonderful things to offer the world. Best of luck to you!

CHADD
NIMH

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine