Alzheimer's Disease

Seroquel for Alzheimer's Disease?

11/14/2001

Question:

My 86 yr old father has AD and is in the latter moderate to severe stages. He is on 4 seroquel twice a day. I have never read of any one else with AD being on this drug. We are wondering if it could be doing more harm than good. He has hallucinations and at times is very mean. I know someone with AD can have these symptoms anyway but could this drug be making it worse? What if he is taken off of this drug when he enters a nursing home? Is this harmful? Thank you............

Answer:

Thank you for submitting your question to us. Dr. David Geldmacher from the University Memory and Aging Center (formerly known as University Alzheimer Center) has responded. "Quetiapine (Brand name: Seroquel) is an excellent drug for control of hallucinations in dementia. The American Academy of Neurology guidelines for treatment of dementia recommend the use of this type of medicine (in conjunction with non drug approaches) for the treatment of psychosis (like hallucinations) in persons with dementia. If it is not working well, then higher doses may be needed. If higher doses are, in the prescribers opinion, not the right choice for this person, then other medications such as risperidone or olanzepine may be considered. Quetiapine comes in 25, 100, and 200 mg tablets. It would be more cost efficient to use fewer of the larger tablets rather than more of the smaller tablets." Again, thank you for sending us your question.

Memory and Cognition Center

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD

David   Geldmacher, MD David Geldmacher, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Neurology