Lupus

Lupus and MS?

12/26/2001

Question:

Can someone have multiple sclerosis and lupus? My ANA count has always been160^ Recently when I developed a rash on my legs that spread too fast to be ringworm, I was sent to a skin specialist. He requested blood tests.My ANA now is 1280. Tests are now being redone. I`ve heard you can and can`t have MS and Lupus together, what do you think?

Answer:

Some of the neurological manifestations of Multiple Sclerosis may be difficult to differentiate from those of Lupus. Overlapping features of both diseases are termed `lupoid sclerosis`. The true coexistence of the two disorders has been reported. Families can have histories of both disorders. Patients with Multiple Sclerosis may have positive ANA (between 20% and 80% in different medical literature series) so having a positive ANA in MS does not mean you have both diseases. ANA alone does not make the diagnosis of lupus. If the rash is suspicious and persistent a biopsy can give a better answer than the blood tests.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Yolanda   Farhey, MD Yolanda Farhey, MD