Alzheimer's Disease

Alzheimers and Strokes

01/09/2002

Question:

My grandmother died of Alzheimers disease and also of 2 strokes. Were the strokes related to the Alzheimers in any way because of the neurological deterioration? Or were they separate occurrences? I am wondering this because I need to write a paper on Family diseases and I chose Alzheimers because 2 of my grandparents died of AD. Any information you could give me within the next 2 days would be VERY helpful. Thank you!

Answer:

Dr. Geldmacher of the University Memory and Aging Center has responded to your question. "Both stroke and Alzheimer`s disease are common in older people. Both tend to run in families, but they are (mostly) separable illnesses with different risk factors. Because of the combined frequency of these disease in the population about 25% of people who die with AD also have strokes identified at autopsy." Thank you for your question. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

University Memory and Aging Center

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD

David   Geldmacher, MD David Geldmacher, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Neurology