Osteoporosis

Identifying Osteoporosis

01/24/2002

Question:

I`m a 31 year old white female, and osteoporosis runs in my family (grandparents and great-aunts). My symptoms include sore back, arched back - even when I try to work on my posture. I`ve never drank much milk. If this is the onset of osteoporosis, what can be done about it? What have you heard about citrical?

Answer:

A mother with osteoporosis is a strong risk factor for osteoporosis, but many other factors play a role as well: thinness, smoking, poor nutrition, use of certain drugs, etc. There are also other causes of curvature of the spine. Citracal is good calcium supplement that can be used if calcium is lacking in your diet. It would be unusual to have osteoporosis at age 31 without other significant health problems. It would be good to review your situation with a physician knowledgeable about osteoporosis.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology