Parkinson's Disease

Spinal Stenosis with Parkinson`s

02/04/2002

Question:

My husband has had Parkinson`s for 16 years. He was recently diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. All available options (medicine, physical therapy,etc.) did not help the pain so he has been offered a surgical option(spinal fusion & laminectomy). I am wondering about this type of surgery for a person with Parkinson`s. Thank you.

Answer:

Spinal stenosis and Parkinson`s disease are unrelated conditions. However, any form of surgery is an added stress for a person with Parkinson`s. Most patients may have a temporary worsening of Parkinson`s symptoms after any kind of surgery due to many reasons. These include the need to be temporarily off medications around the time of surgery, and the stress of the event itself.

Having said that, if the patients neurologist and neurosurgeon see no alternative to the surgery for relief of pain due to the spinal stenosis, then the surgery will have to be done.

Pain medications, in particular Demerol should be used with caution after surgery.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Arif Dalvi, MD