Alternative Options to Medication and Therapy

03/18/2002

Question:

I am a 38-year-old woman. I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year and a half ago. The doctor also decided I had components of depression and anxiety. This has not been my first go around with depression, but I`ve never had any success with medication or therapy. I had suspected the ADHD because of symptoms and because it runs in my family (my father, uncle, brother, niece, nephew, and both of my sons). Anyway, only one medication has helped very much, Adderall, and it caused me to have severe chest pain. I have also had no luck with anti-depressants for the depression and anxiety. Therapy hasn’t helped me either. I’ve gotten so frustrated with the treatments not helping that I have quit going to the doctor and I am no longer taking any medications but I have found that the depression is getting stronger and stronger. I don’t know what to do.

Answer:

I urge you to go to another physician and work on finding one you trust. Yours can be a very painful situation but there may be something yet untried or to try in a different fashion. Don`t give up---medicine is an art as well as a science and you may just need to find the right artist.

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine