Differentiating Between ADD and A Gifted Child

03/18/2002

Question:

My son who is in 1st grade, was determined to be gifted in kindergarten (IQ 139). The school he is currently attending does not have a "gifted" program. His teacher has brought him to an interventional commitee, because she says that he can not pay attention in class.

The problem is that they are covering material that he has known for at least a couple of years. How do I differentiate between ADD and being bored in school and therefore not paying attention?

Answer:

I am not sure you alone can differentiate the two. Without question, the higher the boredom the higher the inattention. You may need to get your son evaluated by clinicians or educational specialists expert in ADD. But start by speaking with his school-based experts (counselor, educational evaluators) and/or someone your physician recommends. Your local CHADD chapter may be able to help (see hotlink below). Finally, if you can get him into a mentally challenging class/camp/activity this summer, that may also give you an idea of the answer in a `real-life` way. Best of luck to you and your son!

CHADD

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine