Infectious Diseases

8 year old with mono

06/26/2002

Question:

My 8 year old daughter has mono (EBV). I`m confident that she has not been kissing boys or sharing eating utensils/glasses. She also has strep throat and a virus (the second time in the last month). Her symptons were fever, upset stomach, cough and not eating. Can strep throat lead to/cause mono? What is the "incubation period" for mono, from inital contact of the disease to when symptons occur? How long are you considered contagious with mono? What guidelines do we use for sending her back to school? Thank you.

Answer:

Mononucleosis syndrome is caused by one of several viruses including Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus. By the age of 21, most humans (80%) have been exposed to the viruses that cause mononucleosis. Many infections are unapparent or mild. Strep throat does not cause mononucleosis nor does it lead to it. Often, however, the two may be confused because both can present with white material over the tonsils. Most children who have this illness recover within a couple of weeks or less and when they feel better they can return to school.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

George S Deepe, Jr, MD George S Deepe, Jr, MD
Director of Infectious Diseases