Breast Feeding

Wheezing and breastfeeding

05/22/2002

Question:

Hello, I have a 7 month old and we are breastfeeding. About 3 months ago I started working out. He started to wheeze and still does on and off. I was wondering if what I am doing could cause this. No smoking in this household nor do we go where ther are people smoking if we can avoid it. He is gaining weight 2 lbs and 3 inches in 2 months. He is healthy otherwise. Could all the working out be doing this? I also watch what I eat. I feel desperate b/c I dont know if Im causing it.Thanks for your time.

Answer:

Congratulations on breastfeeding seven months. What a wonderful start you have given your son. Has his wheezing been diagosised as wheezing by a physician, or is this just what you are hearing? Often time`s parents thinking that a baby is wheezing, when in fact the infant has a stuffy nose, and is just breathing loud. If your baby is truly wheezing he needs to be seen by his health care provider. When you exercise, your breast milk may have a different flavor because you have increased amounts of lactic acid. Some infants don`t like this taste, and may not breastfeed. However, wheezing is not something caused by your exercise, and should be evaluated by your son`s health care provider.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing