Osteoporosis

Evista and Ipriflavone Benefits

06/11/2002

Question:

I am 64 and have osteoporosis. I take Evista, cal/mag. Would Ipriflavone be helpful as well? How much and what kind of exercise? Please be as specific as possible. I drink soy milk. Should I drink cow`s milk? I stopped cow`s milk about 5 years ago, but have consistently taken cal/mag and other supplements.

Answer:

1. It is doubtful that Ipraflavone would add bone benefit beyond the Evista. 2. Exercise and physical therapy are important components of an osteoporosis treatment plan and a proper exercise regimen can greatly enhance mobility and potentially reduce pain in patients with osteoporosis. As the choice of the optimal exercise regimen can be complicated, it is important to discuss specific recommendations with your physician. 3. I would recommend that you compare the calcium content and calorie content of the soy and skim milk. Aim for 1500 mg of calcium per day, preferably no more than 500 mg in a serving. Vitamin D is recommended at 400 IU per day.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology