Helping A Child with Multiple Disorders

06/14/2002

Question:

My 14 year old was diagnosed at year 5 with ADHD, while he lacked focus he learned quickly and was labled with a high IQ as well. Now he still is very bright but he refuses to remember anything that doesn`t interest him, refusing to consider the outcome of his actions or the lack there of, and allowing his temper to put him into trouble. He had been cycled through the ADD medications with only temporary benefits and we have been through various counseling. He now suffers from migraines and irritable bowel syndrome; testing has not identified any specific cause for either. Is it possible that he is no longer AD, but is afraid of being responsible and doing school work and so is hiding behind these new symptoms?

Answer:

Sounds like you have your hands full! Unfortunately, without assessing your son and knowing more about past history and medication dosages, etc., I can not even venture to guess what is going on. Adolescence is a hard time for everyone and doubly hard with ADD. Irritable bowel syndrome is clearly associated with anxiety and many feel that migraines are as well. I urge you to find an ADD/ADHD specialty practice in your area. If you have a problem locating one, try the link below. I wish you the best.

Children and Adults with ADHD

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine